Finding the best divorce lawyer or family lawyer to represent you is the most important decision you need to make in your divorce or family law case. You need to go for a lawyer who has the experience and skills to effectively represent you. However, experience is not everything! You also need to be comfortable with the divorce or family lawyer that you choose. You will have to give your divorce or family lawyer the most intimate information about your relationship.
Although it is important to choose a divorce or family lawyer that you can afford, your lawyer’s hourly rate should not be your only consideration. Often, a more senior divorce or family lawyer will get things done quicker than a junior lawyer who has just started practicing family law. Therefore, a senior and more experienced divorce lawyer or family lawyer may turn out to be less costly than a first-year call, who has a much lower hourly rate.
How to find the best divorce or family lawyer for your case?
As with any profession, there are good divorce lawyers and there are also bad divorce lawyers. You want to do your homework, to make sure that you are hiring the best divorce or family lawyer for your case. Depending on your circumstances, the best divorce or family law litigator in Vancouver, may not be what you need. Your case may need a collaborative and settlement-oriented divorce or family lawyer or vice versa.
To find the best divorce lawyer or family lawyer for your divorce case:
- Ask around. Friends and family members are a great source of information. They can tell you about their experiences with their own divorce or family lawyers.
- Look for a divorce lawyer or family lawyer who has experience in divorce or family law.
- Research and look for divorce lawyers or family lawyers online to see what their past clients say about them. However, keep in mind that online rankings may not be the most reliable source of information as often you cannot tell who wrote the review.
- Look for divorce lawyers or family lawyers who are resourceful and can recommend relevant experts for your case such as forensic accountants, business valuators, property valuators section 211 authors, and so on. You need to have the right expert for your case.
- Choose a family or divorce who you can trust and is compatible with you. This is very important because you need to be confident in your choice and you need to be able to freely share information with your family or divorce lawyer. If you cannot share information with your divorce lawyer that would put your lawyer at a disadvantage and your lawyer would not be able to effectively represent you.
- Choose a family or divorce lawyer who is honest. You do not want a divorce or family lawyer who tells you exactly what you want to hear. Rather, your divorce or family lawyer who is upfront with you and tells you whether your expected outcome of your divorce case is reasonable or not.
- Do not hire a divorce or family lawyer based on their firm’s size. Sometimes, in bigger law firms you are passed around from one associate to another throughout your retainer, which makes your divorce case prolonged and more expensive since each time the new associate needs to review your case. In a boutique divorce of family law firm, often, you will have a designated divorce or family lawyer who will represent you throughout your retainer.
- Look for a skilled negotiator. If your case can be settled without the need to go to court, you will get quicker results without paying an arm and leg.
We are a boutique law firm specializing in Divorce and family law in Vancouver, BC. Our divorce lawyers and family lawyer have years of experience representing clients in divorce and family law cases in all levels of the courts in BC. We are skilled negotiators outside court and avid advocates in the courtroom.
At Nasser Allan, we pride ourselves for being upfront and candid with our clients. We are transparent in our billing, so you know what you are paying for. We do not pass you around from one associate to another. You will have one designated lawyer who will represent you throughout your file. We also brainstorm with other lawyers at our firm to make sure that you get the best advice.
If you are looking to hire a divorce or family lawyer, give us a call to see if we are the best divorce lawyer and the right fit for your case.