One of the best ways to determine whether a lawyer is the best Vancouver lawyer for you is by meeting with potential candidates, first, to get an understanding of the lawyer’s individual style of practice. The best Vancouver lawyer for you is one that makes you feel comfortable and confident in their skills. He or she will provide you with an understanding of how to progress your case. By meeting with potential lawyers, you can get a sense of each lawyer’s individual character, style of communicating, and practice habits. Asking the right questions allows you to uncover the lawyer’s professional ability and determine whether they are the right fit for you. Hiring a Vancouver lawyer you feel comfortable with and confident in will contribute to the success of your case.
It is important to remember, you hire the individual lawyer, not the firm. An experienced, efficient $300/hour lawyer will cost you less, in money, stress and time, than an inexperienced $150/hour lawyer. The Vancouver lawyer you choose to represent you should be professional, knowledgeable, responsive. Make sure they are someone you trust, feel comfortable working with, understands your case and can put you at ease.
Questions to ask at your initial consult:
- What kind of experience does the lawyer have dealing with your legal issues?
- What is their case strategy for your dealing with your matter?
- How will you be updated on your case, in writing or by the phone?
- What are the fees and how are they structured
- Does the lawyer have any special skills or areas of expertise
- How long has the lawyer been practicing?
- What kind of legal issues does the lawyer handle the most often?
- Who will be your point of contact – will you be dealing with the lawyer your meeting, their associate or their paralegal?
- Do you like this person? You’ll be discussing personal aspects of your life ? do you feel comfortable sharing personal information openly and freely with this lawyer?